With Governor Mike DeWine’s decision to close all Ohio K-12 schools in order to help with the outbreak of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Van Wert City Schools believes it is our responsibility to continue to provide meals for the students of our district. As a result, the Van Wert City Schools Food Services Department will be providing meals for children following spring break, beginning Monday, March 23, 2020.
The Van Wert City Schools Plan is as follows:
Students who qualify for this “Grab and Go” Meal Plan are a VWCS district student, Vantage Van Wert student, or a Synergy Van Wert student, who qualify for Free and Reduced Lunches. Any student not qualifying for the Free and Reduced Program may also receive meals at the normal school lunch price.
- UPDATED 3/21/20: Van Wert City Schools is operating in compliance with the waiver guidelines from the Ohio Department of Education. Families who qualify for free and reduced meals are not being charged. Because we are living in unprecedented times, any Van Wert City School district student, Van Wert Vantage student, and Van Wert Synergy student will be accommodated without being charged.
- Distribution of “Grab and Go” Meals will be located at two sites:
- The S.F.Goedde Gymnasium (Pick up on Jefferson Street only at the East Gym Doors #07 and #08).
- Ohio City at the Village Hall/Utility Office. Ohio City families must enter at the north door of the council chambers.
- The time for the distribution of meals is 10:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- In order for the student to receive his/her meal, their student lunch identification number is required (for each “Grab and Go” Meal) at the time of pick up. One day’s worth of meals may be picked up each day.
- The “Grab and Go” meals offered will be both a breakfast meal and lunch meal each day.
Currently, VWCS will remain closed through April 3, 2020. Van Wert City Schools continues to work closely with the Van Wert County Health Department during this challenging time for everyone. School officials continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and are following the recommendations of federal, state, and local health officials. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Superintendent’s Office at (419) 238-0648.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Is Van Wert City Schools charging students for the “Grab and Go” meals?
Van Wert City Schools is operating in compliance with the waiver guidelines from the Ohio Department of Education. Families who qualify for free and reduced meals are not being charged. Because we are living in unprecedented times, any Van Wert City School district student, Van Wert Vantage student, and Van Wert Synergy student will be accommodated without being charged.
Why do students have to present their student lunch identification numbers when receiving their “Grab and Go” meals?
School districts have been granted a waiver from the Ohio Department of Education and are expected to follow the required guidelines. In order to receive meal reimbursement from the state, the Food Services Department must document each “Grab and Go” meal using their students' lunch identification number.
Do all children within the family need to be present when receiving their “Grab and Go” meals?
No. The district continues to respect and honor “social/physical distancing”. The school asks that only one family member be present to receive the meals each day. Whoever picks up the meals must have the student lunch identification numbers for each student who is to receive meals.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.