Van Wert City Schools Treasurer Mike Ruen gives his report during Wednesday's Board of Education meeting. Ruen is set to resign Sept 1. (DHI Media/Kirsten Barnhart)
The Van Wert Board of Education accepted the resignation of Treasurer/CFO Mike Ruen effective Sept. 1 during their regular meeting on Wednesday. Ruen has been the Van Wert City Schools treasurer for 12 years.
"It's been a very memorable time for me here," said Ruen who noted he will miss the community and the people he has worked with. "I hope I kind of left my mark in a good way and done a lot of great things for this district to help it move along and put it in a position to educate our students in the community."
Ruen will head to Hicksville Local Schools to fill the treasurer position there.
During his report, Ruen noted that for fiscal year 19, the district is running around $411,000 in the black in the General Fund.
"That is the fifth straight year that we've operated in the black," said Ruen. Ruen also explained that the carryover balance is also the highest it has been since June 2010.
Also during the meeting, Superintendent Vicki Brunn spoke about new graduation requirements that would start with the class of 2023. Brunn said that the new requirements expand options and said she is encouraged by what that the State is doing.
"I actually think that there are some things that are written into this bill that could be better than what we had for our students in 2018," said Brunn.
In other business, the Board made the following motions:
- Accept the resignations of Katelyn Lloyd, sixth-grade math teacher, and Zachary Bates, second-grade teacher effective the end of the 2018-2019 contract year.
- Accept the supplemental coaching resignations, effective the 2019-2020 contract year, of Tim Brown - boys head soccer coach, and Ata John Ochil - boys assistant soccer coach. Ochil was later approved as boys head soccer coach.
- Approve the following employments effective the 2019-2020 contract year, pending all board policies pertaining to employment are met: Bryce Crea - sixth grade math teacher, Larry McCauley - seventh and eighth grade career connections teacher and paraprofessional, Alison Springer - second grade teacher; part-time ECC paraprofessionals: Kathy Wiseman, Ashley Elston, Lisa Bracken, Ashley Zappa, and Janie Ross; part-time ECC, elementary, high school/middle school cafeteria workers: Chris Amweg, Marcia Priest, Diana Foltz, Karen Dunlap, Barb Reed, Sue Ringwald, Brenda Watkins, Karla Donelly, Jay Prichard, Judy Myers, Wilma Richardson, Dawn Pontius, Marlene Foss, and Bobbie Poe; Matthew Krol - auxiliary services tutor at St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic School.
- Approve Tracy Wehner as Elementary School Assistant Principal, to a three-year contract for the period Aug. 1, 2019, thru July 31, 2022.
- Approve the following supplemental contracts for Middle School Multi-Media Managers retroactively for the 2018-2019 contract year: Melissa Bloomfield and Alexa Terry.
- Approve the following supplemental contracts for Multi-Media Managers for the 2019-2020 contract year: Krista Baer and Brenda Smith - HS Multi-Media Managers, Rachel Gehrlich and Alexa Terry - MS Multi-Media Managers, Amy Covey, and Alicia Welker - ES Multi-Media Managers, and Sara Pugh and Erin Heaslip - ECC Multi-Media Managers.
Acknowledge the following charitable groups, entities, and individuals for their generous donations to the Van Wert City Schools: $1,925 from United Way of Van Wert County, Inc. for Family and First Children Council, $1,000 for the stage from High School Principal’s Account, and $100 from Tecumseh Packaging Solutions, Inc. for the Baseball State Tournament.
The Board also approved a list of coaches for the school year.
With no further business, the Board adjourned. The next scheduled regular meeting is set for Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019, at 5 p.m. The meeting will be in the First Federal Lecture Hall at the Niswonger Performing Arts Center.
Original article from the Times Bulletin